December 29, 2011

Prayer for Daily Neglects

There was once an abbess of a Poor Clare convent who, while praying, was remembering in her intentions the repose of a nun’s soul, who had just recently passed away. It was in the midst of these prayers, when the superior received an apparition of a beautiful woman. She recognized the resplendent soul as the deceased nun from her convent. The Poor Clare, aware of the abbess’ prayers on her behalf, revealed a powerful prayer she had used in life.

Eternal Father, I offer You the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with all Its love, all Its sufferings and all Its merits.

First: To expiate all the sins I have committed this day and during all my life.
Glory be to the Father, etc.

Second: To purify the good I have done poorly this day and during all my life.
Glory be to the Father, etc.

Third: To supply for the good I ought to have done, and that I have neglected this day and all my life.
Glory be to the Father, etc.

"I went straight to Heaven," the nun told her abbess, "for, by means of this prayer recited every evening, I paid my debts."

It must be remembered that this "Prayer for Daily Neglects" is not intended for, nor is it capable of, replacing the sacrament of Confession. But while no formal promises are attached to this devotion, how is it possible that He who said "Ask and you shall receive," will refuse such ardent petitions to His All Loving and Powerful Heart?
 
 

Related Post