Jun 6, 2024

8 June 2024 - Saturday of week 9 in Ordinary Time - Reading

The Immaculate Heart of Mary 
Liturgical Colour: White. Year: B(II)

Readings for the feria (Saturday)

________

First reading
2 Timothy 4:1-8

I am already being poured out and the crown of righteousness awaits me which the Lord will award to me.

Beloved: I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingly power: proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching. For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths. But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances; put up with hardship; perform the work of an evangelist; fulfill your ministry.
    For I am already being poured out like a libation, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me, which the Lord, the just judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but to all who have longed for his appearance.

Commentary

2 Timothy 4:1-8 features Paul's final exhortation to Timothy, urging him to stay faithful in his ministry and reflecting on his own life and the reward awaiting him.

  1. Solemn Charge: Paul urges Timothy to preach the Word urgently, correcting and encouraging with patience.
  2. Warning of Apostasy: He warns that people will turn away from sound doctrine and seek teachers who cater to their desires.
  3. Call to Vigilance: Timothy is encouraged to stay sober-minded, endure hardships, and fulfill his ministry.
  4. Paul's Reflection: Paul reflects on his life, stating he has fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith.
  5. Assurance of Reward: Paul is confident in receiving the crown of righteousness from the Lord, extending this hope to all who long for Christ's appearing.

2 Timothy 4:1-8 encourages steadfastness in ministry, using Paul's example and assurance of eternal reward to inspire faithfulness.

Heavenly Father, thank You for Paul's example of faithfulness. Help us to preach Your Word boldly and remain steadfast in our faith. May we fight the good fight and keep the faith until the end. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

________

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 71:8-9, 14-15ab, 16-17, 22

I will sing of your salvation.

My mouth shall be filled with your praise,
    with your glory day by day.
Cast me not off in my old age;
    as my strength fails, forsake me not.

I will sing of your salvation.

But I will always hope
    and praise you ever more and more.
My mouth shall declare your justice,
    day by day your salvation.

I will sing of your salvation.

I will treat of the mighty works of the Lord;
    O GOD, I will tell of your singular justice.
O God, you have taught me from my youth,
    and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.

I will sing of your salvation.

So will I give you thanks with music on the lyre,
    for your faithfulness, O my God!
I will sing your praises with the harp,
    O Holy One of Israel!

I will sing of your salvation.

________

Gospel Acclamation
see Luke 2:19

Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed is the Virgin Mary who kept the word of God
and pondered it in her heart.
Alleluia, alleluia.

________

The following reading is proper to the memorial, and must be used even if you have otherwise chosen to use the ferial readings.

Gospel
Luke 2:41-51

His mother kept all these things in her heart.

Each year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

Commentary

Luke 2:41-51 recounts young Jesus staying behind in the temple, demonstrating His early awareness of His divine mission.

  1. Annual Pilgrimage: Mary and Joseph attend the Passover festival in Jerusalem each year, showing their devout faith.
  2. Jesus Stays Behind: At twelve, Jesus remains in the temple, indicating His growing independence and spiritual focus.
  3. Search and Discovery: Mary and Joseph search anxiously for three days and find Him in the temple, highlighting their loving care.
  4. Engaging with Teachers: Jesus amazes everyone with His wisdom and understanding, showing His unique relationship with God.
  5. Response to Parents: Jesus tells Mary, "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" reflecting His awareness of His divine mission.

Luke 2:41-51 shows Jesus' early dedication to His divine mission and His parents' devout care.

Heavenly Father, thank You for Jesus' example of early dedication to Your will. Help us seek Your wisdom and prioritize our spiritual growth. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Readings for the memorial

There is a choice today between the readings for the ferial day (Saturday) and those for the memorial. The ferial readings are recommended unless pastoral reasons suggest otherwise.
________

First reading
Isaiah 61:9-11

I exult for joy in the Lord


Their race will be famous throughout the nations,
their descendants throughout the peoples.
All who see them will admit
that they are a race whom the Lord has blessed.

‘I exult for joy in the Lord,
my soul rejoices in my God,
for he has clothed me in the garments of salvation,
he has wrapped me in the cloak of integrity,
like a bridegroom wearing his wreath,
like a bride adorned in her jewels.

‘For as the earth makes fresh things grow,
as a garden makes seeds spring up,
so will the Lord make both integrity and praise
spring up in the sight of the nations.’

Commentary:

Isaiah 61:9-11 depicts God's promise of blessing and restoration for His people, transforming a once desolate land into one of abundance and prosperity.

  1. Promise of Blessing: God assures that His people will be recognized and blessed among the nations, demonstrating His faithfulness to His covenant.
  2. Rejoicing in the Lord's Goodness: Isaiah rejoices in the Lord's salvation, likening it to the joy of a bridegroom and bride on their wedding day.
  3. Transformation of the Land: The land is envisioned as a garden flourishing with growth and abundance, symbolizing God's renewal of His people and their surroundings.

Isaiah 61:9-11 celebrates God's promise of blessing and restoration, bringing joy and prosperity to His people and their land.

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your promises of blessing and renewal. Help us to rejoice in Your goodness and trust in Your faithfulness. May Your abundance be evident in our lives. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

________

Responsorial Psalm
1 Samuel 2:1,4-8

My heart exults in the Lord my Saviour.

My heart exults in the Lord.
    I find my strength in my God;
my mouth laughs at my enemies
    as I rejoice in your saving help.

My heart exults in the Lord my Saviour.

The bows of the mighty are broken,
    but the weak are clothed with strength.
Those with plenty must labour for bread,
    but the hungry need work no more.
The childless wife has children now
    but the fruitful wife bears no more.

My heart exults in the Lord my Saviour.

It is the Lord who gives life and death,
    he brings men to the grave and back;
it is the Lord who gives poverty and riches.
    He brings men low and raises them on high.

My heart exults in the Lord my Saviour.

He lifts up the lowly from the dust,
    from the dungheap he raises the poor
to set him in the company of princes
    to give him a glorious throne.
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s,
    on them he has set the world.

My heart exults in the Lord my Saviour.

________

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Lk2:19

Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed is the Virgin Mary,
who treasured the word of God
and pondered it in her heart.
Alleluia!

________

Gospel
Luke 2:41-51

Mary stored up all these things in her heart

Every year the parents of Jesus used to go to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover. When he was twelve years old, they went up for the feast as usual. When they were on their way home after the feast, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem without his parents knowing it. They assumed he was with the caravan, and it was only after a day’s journey that they went to look for him among their relations and acquaintances. When they failed to find him they went back to Jerusalem looking for him everywhere.
    Three days later, they found him in the Temple, sitting among the doctors, listening to them, and asking them questions; and all those who heard him were astounded at his intelligence and his replies. They were overcome when they saw him, and his mother said to him, ‘My child, why have you done this to us? See how worried your father and I have been, looking for you.’
    ‘Why were you looking for me?’ he replied. ‘Did you not know that I must be busy with my Father’s affairs?’ But they did not understand what he meant.
    He then went down with them and came to Nazareth and lived under their authority. His mother stored up all these things in her heart.

Commentary

Luke 2:41-51 recounts a significant event in the life of Jesus during His youth, highlighting His early awareness of His divine mission.

  1. Annual Pilgrimage: Mary and Joseph attend the Passover festival in Jerusalem each year, showcasing their devout adherence to Jewish customs.
  2. Jesus Stays Behind: At twelve years old, Jesus remains in the temple, indicating His growing independence and spiritual focus.
  3. Search and Discovery: Mary and Joseph search anxiously for three days and find Him in the temple, highlighting their loving care and concern.
  4. Engaging with Teachers: Jesus impresses the teachers with His wisdom and understanding, indicating His unique relationship with God and His early recognition of His divine mission.
  5. Response to Parents: Jesus tells Mary, "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" revealing His awareness of His special relationship with God and His divine mission.

Luke 2:41-51 provides insights into Jesus' early life, demonstrating His deep connection with God and His growing awareness of His divine calling.

Heavenly Father, thank You for revealing Your Son's early awareness of His mission. Help us to seek Your presence and wisdom in our lives as Jesus did. Guide us to prioritize our spiritual growth and understanding. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saint Pio of Pietralcina "Padre Pio" (1887-1968) Capuchin

Words of Padre Pio; Chapt VIII, n° 238-241

The goodness of the Heart of our Mother

        I would like to have a voice strong enough to invite sinners from all over the world to love the Virgin Mary. But since it is not in my power, I prayed my little angel to fulfill this office for me. Poor little mom, how much she loves me! (…)

         Thinking of the countless benefits that this little mother made from me, I am ashamed of myself, who never looked with enough love her heart and her hand which offered them with so much kindness; And what afflicts me even more is not having responded to the affectionate care of our mother only with continual disgust.

         How many times have I not entrusted to this mother the painful anxieties of my restless heart! And how many times has it not consoled me! But what was my gratitude? ... In the midst of the biggest afflictions, I feel like I no longer have a mother on earth, but to have a very compassionate one in heaven. But how many times, my heart calmed, I forgot almost everything; I forgot almost even my obligationof gratitude towards this blessed little celestial mom! ... (...)

         Let us strive like many chosen souls, to always stand behind this blessed mother, to always walk near her, because there is no other road which leads to life than that shown by our mother. Let us not refuse this road, we who want to reach the end.
.

Related Post

No comments: