November 17, 2018

A Prayer after Confirmation



Prayer to the Holy Ghost


O Heavenly Spirit! Whom I earnestly desire to receive in the Sacrament of Confirmation, mercifully deign to descend on me with all Thy gifts and graces. O eternal Light! O infinite Charity! O uncreated Wisdom, Who replenishest the hearts of the faithful, and kindlest in them the fire of Thy love!

O holy Spirit! Who didst inspire the prophets, Who presidest over the Church, Who convertest sinners, and sanctifiest millions that listen to Thy inspirations, despise not my youth, my ignorance, and weakness. In a moment Thou canst enlighten the darkest understanding, and soften the hardest heart. O! come then into my heart; come, heavenly Spirit; and do not delay.

O sacred Virgin! Spouse of the Holy Ghost, Whose pure soul was the chosen tabernacle of that heavenly Spirit, and who above all creatures were plentifully enriched with his choicest gifts and graces, intercede for me, and by Thy powerful prayers prepare me for the happiness I so sincerely desire.

Glorious Apostles! who received the plentitude of the Divine Spirit, obtain for me by your prayers a share in the perfect dispositions, which prepared you to receive that consolatory Spirit. 


A Prayer after Confirmation



Is it possible, O my good and merciful Creator, that Thou hast so far overlooked my misery and unworthiness, as to make my soul the tabernacle of Thy Holy Spirit! Can I believe that I am now honored with the presence and enriched with the gifts and graces of the Holy Ghost? Yes, I firmly hope that Thou hast not been deaf to my petitions; I hope I am now in possession of that sacred gift I so ardently desired. O my God! accept the praises of Thy Angels and Saints in thanksgiving for Thy unbounded mercies in my regard. May the blessed Mother of Thy Divine Son, and the glorious choir of Apostles, thank Thee for me. May the Cross of Jesus Christ, with which my forehead has been signed, defend me from all my enemies, and save me at the last day. May the inward unction of sanctifying grace, figured by the chrism with which I have been anointed, penetrate my soul, soften my heart, strengthen my will, and consecrate my whole being to Thy service.

O heavenly Spirit! third person of the Adorable Trinity! Whom I have received, and most fervently adore, deign to take eternal possession of my soul; create and maintain therein the purity and sanctity which becomes Thy temple. O Spirit of Wisdom! preside over all my thoughts, words, and actions, from this hour to the moment of my death. Spirit of Understanding! enlighten and teach me. Spirit of Counsel! direct my youth and inexperience. Spirit of Fortitude! strengthen my weakness. Spirit of Knowledge! instruct my ignorance. Spirit of Piety! make me fervent in good works. Spirit of Fear! restrain me from all evil. Let all my works be fruits of Charity! Infuse into my heart the joy of a good conscience, and teach me to delight in the service of God, and to despise the false joys of the world. Give me grace to preserve Peace with God, my neighbor, and myself:--give me Patience to bear with all the ills of this life;--make me persevere in the service of God, and enable me to act on all occasions with Goodness, Benignity, Mildness and Fidelity. Let the heavenly virtues of Modesty and Purity adorn the temple Thou hast chosen for Thy abode. O Spirit of Purity! by Thy all-powerful grace preserve my soul from the misfortune of sin, which for all eternity will be distinguished by the double title and sacred character of a Christian by Baptism, and a soldier of Jesus Christ by the Sacrament of Confirmation. Amen.


Related Post