November 07, 2018

πŸ•‚Saint Aloysius


St. Aloysius Gonzaga: Meditation on his life

1st. Represent to yourself the Saint, supremely happy, on his death-bed.

2nd. Pray for grace to imitate his generosity, that you may participate in his joy.


πŸ“’ The Generosity with which St. Aloysius strove to attain Perfection

Consideration: When we read of the heroic acts of the saints, we say to ourselves, perhaps unconsciously, This is not surprising; they were saints, and I am not one: as if all saints had been sanctified from their birth, and as if they had not attained holiness by generous and heroic victories over themselves. We find traces of these victories in every page of the life of St. Aloysius. We read therein that, in order to curb the wanderings of his imagination, he persevered in prayer for many hours together, until he acquired the power of spending one without distraction; that, to quell his inclination to anger, he watched so carefully over himself that he at length succeeded in mastering the first movements of irritation; that, in order to conquer every feeling of vanity and self-love, he took the resolution of appearing at a court festival in Mantua, in such mean attire as to draw upon himself the ridicule of the entire assemblage. And what efforts did he not make to preserve his soul from the least stain of sin! To such lengths did he carry this vigilance that he avoided even looking at any woman, and subjected himself to continued fasts, rigorous disciplines, and prolonged vigils. And lastly, how severe was the struggle which he maintained, during two years, to gain permission to resign his principality and enter religion!

Application: These examples will suffice to prove that the sanctity of Aloysius was not natural or innate; that it was acquired by the most strenuous efforts; and that we may likewise become saints by pursuing the same method.

Affections: Beg of St. Aloysius to obtain for you that you may put in practice all the means of sanctification within your reach.

Resolutions: In all difficulties, endeavor, like St Aloysius, to gain courage by saying to yourself, "What proportion does all this bear to the rewards of eternity?"



πŸ“’ Reward of the Efforts of St. Aloysius to Attain Perfection

Consideration: In return for these generous efforts, St. Aloysius received from God a sublime gift of prayer, together with the gift of tears, that of perfect chastity, and many other signal favors. Among these was one in particular, which we should earnestly desire to share with him, namely, his holy death, preceded by peace, joy, and admirable confidence, as is testified by a letter written by him eight days before his decease to his pious mother. "If charity," he says, "should cause us to weep with those who mourn, and to rejoice with those who are joyful, your consolation should be very great, my dearest mother, on account of the grace which the Lord grants you in my person, leading me, as He does, to true happiness. God, in His Divine Mercy, calls me to heaven, to that sovereign felicity which I have so negligently sought to obtain. He promises to reward the few tears that I have shed."

We find the same sentiments expressed throughout the remainder of the letter, as well as in his latest conversations with his religious brethren and superiors, who expressed their conviction that they witnessed the death of a saint. It pleased God to make known the sanctity of His servant by numerous and striking miracles. He was solemnly beatified fourteen years after his death, and during the lifetime of his mother.

Application: Let us live the life of the saints, that we may participate in their glory.

Colloquy with St. Aloysius Gonzaga, who, in the space of a few years, gained an extraordinary degree of merit through the practice of sanctifying even his most trivial actions by great purity of intention, the fruit of his intimate union with God. Let us pray to Him, and beg, through His intercession, the grace to imitate His virtues.
________________________________________________


Homily of St. John Chrysostom on Virginity

(From the Roman Breviary on the Feast 
of St. Aloysius Gonzaga June 21st) 

Virginity is good: this I also confess. Indeed, it is even better than marriage: and in this I agree with you: and if you please, I will add to that, that it is as much more excellent than marriage, as heaven is high above earth, and as the Angels are nobler than men. And if anything may yet be added, it is even more than that. For, if the Angels neither marry nor are given in marriage, neither are they composed of flesh and blood. And what is more, they do not linger upon earth, neither are they liable to the disturbances of desire or lust. They do not need food or drink and they are not such as to be allured by a sweet sound, a moving song, or a beautiful form; in a word, no enticements of this kind lay hold of them.

But the human race, although by nature it is lower than these blessed spirits, tries with all its might and zeal to follow them. In what manner? Angels do not marry; but neither does a virgin. They stand ever before God, and serve him; a virgin does the same. But if virgins, as long as they are weighed down by the burden of the body, cannot ascend to heaven like the Angels, yet they make it their one great consolation to be holy in soul and body, so as to receive in their heart the King of heaven. Do you not see the excellence of virginity? And how it makes those who are clothed in flesh and still dwell upon earth, equal to incorporeal spirits?

For I ask, in what respect did those true lovers of virginity, Elias, Eliseus and John, differ from the Angels? In nothing, except that they had mortal bodies. For the rest, if one searches carefully, these men will be found to be in no way less endowed than those blessed spirits: and it must redound to their great honor that, from a lower state they appear the same as the Angels. For, if they, dwellers upon earth and having a mortal nature, could attain by such striving and struggling to that virtue, consider how great must have been their courage, and with what a splendid rule of life they must have been endowed!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Litany of St. Aloysius Gonzaga

Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ hear us.
Christ graciously hear us.

God the Father of heaven, 
Have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
Have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost,
Have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God,
Have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Pray for us*
Holy Virgin of Virgins,*
Holy Mother of God,*
St. Aloysius Gonzaga,*
Full of the benedictions of God,*
Filled with the Holy Ghost,*
Most beloved of Christ,*
Delight of the Blessed Virgin,*
Most chaste youth,*
Model of humility,*
Lover of poverty,*
Perfect in obedience,*
Admirable in patience,*
Despiser of riches,*
Enemy of vanities,*
Scorner of dignities,*
Honor of princes,*
Gem of nobility,*
Flower of innocence,*
Mirror of mortification,*
Brilliant ornament of the Company of Jesus,*
Most tenderly devout,*
Most zealous observer of Thy rule,*
Most desirous of the salvation of souls,*
Particular client of St. Ignatius,*
Most worthy confessor of Jesus Christ,*
Most constant adorer of the Holy Eucharist,*
Most devoted servant of the Blessed Virgin,*
All-powerful in heaven,*
Vanquisher of demons,*
Glory of youth,*
Patron of young students,*
Mirror of virgins,*
Most sweet comforter of the afflicted,*
Most sure resource of the sick,*
Burning light of the Church,*
Powerful worker of miracles,*
Our aid and our protector,*

Be merciful. Spare us, O Lord 
Be merciful. Graciously hear us O Lord.

From the lust of the eyes,
O Lord, deliver us.**
From the lust of the flesh,**
From the pride of life,**
By the merits and intercession of St. Aloysius,**
By his angelical purity,**
By his sanctity and glory,**

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world,
Spare us, O Lord.

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world,
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world,
Have mercy on us.

Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.

V. Pray for us, Saint Aloysius,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.


Let Us Pray.

O most holy Aloysius, who wast so happy as to be preserved, even from thy childhood, pure from all the contagions of the world, and didst constantly live for God alone; obtain for us by thy prayers, we beseech thee, that we may be able to die continually to this wicked world, and serve God with ardor and fidelity. Look in pity on our miseries and by thy protection keep us ever firmly attached to the law of the Lord. Extend over us thy favoring hand, and be our blessed succor, that by thy help we may escape the innumerable dangers of the world, and the cruel enemies of our salvation. Direct our hearts in the way of all those virtues of which thou hast given us so many and so just examples, to the end that, following in thy steps, we may be found worthy to praise God with thee on earth, and to chant his mercies through all eternity.

O holy Aloysius, adorned with angelic graces, I, Thy most unworthy and devoted servant, recommend to thee especially the chastity of my soul and body. I beseech thee, by thy angelic purity, to commend me to the immaculate Lamb, Christ Jesus, and to His most holy Mother, Virgin of virgins, and to preserve me from every grievous sin. Permit me not to defile myself with any stain of impurity; and when thou shalt see me in temptation, or in danger of sinning, drive far from my heart all unclean thoughts and affections, and, awakening in me the remembrance of eternity and of Jesus crucified, engrave deeply in my heart a holy fear of God, and inflame me with divine love; so that, by imitating thee on earthy, I may merit to be associated with thee in the enjoyment of God in heaven. Amen

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Act of Consecration to St. Aloysius Gonzaga

O St. Aloysius, so renowned for thy purity of heart, thy humility and obedience, thy special devotion to the Most Holy Sacrament, and thy tender love for the Blessed Virgin Mary, I consecrate myself to thee, beseeching thee to number me among thy fervent clients. Obtain that I may perfectly imitate all thy virtues, especially thy purity and perseverance. Help me with thy prayers, that I may never cease to love my God and sing His praises. Assist me by a special protection at the hour of my death, that I may present myself pure and stainless to the sovereign Judge and enjoy with thee eternal happiness. Amen
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Prayer of St. Aloysius to the Blessed Virgin

To thee, O holy Mary, my sovereign Mistress, to thy blessed trust and special charge, and to the bosom of thy mercy, this day and every day, and at the hour of my death, I commend myself, my soul and my body; to thee I commit all my hope and all my consolation, my distresses and my miseries, my life and the end thereof; that through thy most holy intercession, and through thy merits, all my works may be directed and disposed, according to thy will and the will of thy Son. Amen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Devout Client's Address to St. Aloysius

Angelical youth, Aloysius, by the particular appointment of God's vicar upon earth, patron of those who apply to studies: thou who hast illustrated the Church by a holy contempt of an earthly principality, but more by the innocence of thy manners, sanctity of thy life, and studies, I firmly resolve to follow thy example and pattern, as well of piety as of industry, that thou hast put before me. For the love thou hadst for Christ crucified, and His most blessed Mother, receive me as thy client and obedient servant; aid and assist me in the pursuit of virtue and learning; nourish and increase in me a purity of body and mind; turn off the snares laid against my chastity; ward and defend me against the dangers of the world; inspire my heart with a true and filial confidence in the ever-blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of good counsel; govern and direct me in my choice of a state of life, and let the grace of God be my perpetual defense against all mortal sin: that as thou always lived in a purity and integrity truly angelical, so assisted by thy patronage, and aided by the grace of God, I may live chastely and holily in this world, and deserve to be associated with thee and joined to the company of the angels in heaven Amen.

Recite six Paters and Aves, with the Gloria Patri. 
__________________________________________________


Prayer to St. Aloysius Gonzaga, 
(Can be Prayed as a Novena for Nine Consecutive Days) 

O Saint Aloysius, adorned with angelical manners, although I am thy unworthy servant, I recommend to thee in an especial manner the chastity of my soul and body; I conjure thee, by thy angelical purity, to commend me to Jesus Christ, the spotless Lamb, and to His most holy Mother, the Virgin of virgins. Preserve me from every grievous sin; never suffer me to sully my soul with any impurity; whenever thou seest me in temptation or danger of sin, ward off from me every impure thought and affection, and awakening in me the remembrance of eternity and of Jesus crucified, imprint deeply in my heart the sentiment of the fear of God. Inflame me with divine love, in order that by imitating thee on earth, I may merit to enjoy God with thee in heaven. Amen. 

Our Father, Hail Mary.

(Indulgence of one hundred days to he gained once a day.) 
______________________________ _______________________

Devotions of the Six Sundays

No particular prayers are prescribed for this devotion, but a plenary indulgence is gained each Sunday, by receiving as usual, and meditating, praying, or performing any other act of piety in honor of the saint.

Plenary indulgence on his feast, on receiving and visiting his statue or picture. Plenary indulgence for the devotion of six Sundays before his feast, or at any other time.--Benedict XIII., Clement XII., Benedict XIY., and Pius VII.
______________________________ _________________________

A Prayer to be Said by Young Men

O most glorious Saint Aloysius, who hast been honored by the Church with the fair title of "angelic youth," because of the life of utmost purity thou didst lead here on earth, I come before thy presence this day with all the devotion of my mind and heart. O perfect exemplar, kind and powerful patron of young men, how great is my need of thee! The world and the devil are trying to ensnare me; I am conscious of the arbor of my passions; I know full well the weakness of inconstancy of my age. Who shall be able to keep me safe if not thou, O Saint of angelic purity, the glory and honor, the loving protector of youth? To thee, therefore, I have recourse with all my soul, to thee I commit myself with all my heart. I hearby resolve, promise and desire to be especially devout toward thee, to glorify thee by imitating thy extraordinary virtues and in particular thy angelic purity, to copy thy example, and to promote devotion to thee among companions. O dear Saint Aloysius, do thou guard and defend me always, in order that, under thy protection and following thy example, I may one day be able to join with thee in seeing and praising my God forever in heaven. Amen

(Indulgence of 300 days, once a day.) 
______________________________ ______________________


Teaching of the Saints:

On Mental Prayer: A want of due attention to mental prayer is the reason why some have so little fervor in the service of God, and give so great scope to their passions. --(St. Aloysius Gonzaga) 

Confidence in God: He who falls into a fault, however light it may be, ought to rise immediately, have recourse to God, beg pardon of Him, and ask grace never to commit it again. --(St. Aloysius Gonzaga) 

Love is Proved by Suffering: He who wishes to love God does not truly love Him, if he has not an ardent and constant desire to suffer for His sake. --(St. Aloysius Gonzaga)

Thought of the Judgment: It is to be feared that the angels, who are at present our guardians, will become our accusers at the day of judgment. --(St. Aloysius Gonzaga)


Related Post