Jun 4, 2024

Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus

"O Loving Jesus, Meek Lamb of God, I, a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most sacred wound of thy shoulder on which thou didst bear thy heavy cross, which so tore thy flesh and laid bare thy bones as to inflict on thee an anguish greater than any other wound of thy most blessed body. I adore thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify thee and give thee thanks for this most sacred and painful wound, beseeching thee by that exceeding pain and by the crushing burden of thy heavy cross, to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen."


The prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus indeed invokes the wound that Jesus is said to have received while carrying the cross on which he was crucified. It is attributed to various saints, including Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, Saint Gertrude, and Saint Mechtilde.

According to pious legend, Saint Bernard asked Jesus about his greatest unrecorded suffering and the wound that inflicted the most pain on him during his journey to Calvary. Jesus is said to have responded: "I had on my shoulder, while I bore my cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous wound which was more painful than the others and which is not recorded by men."

This legend highlights the depth of Jesus' suffering and the intensity of his sacrifice for humanity. The prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus serves as a way for believers to meditate on this aspect of Jesus' passion and to seek solace and healing through his wounds.

.

Related Post

No comments: