Jul 5, 2024

Novena to St. Thomas the Apostle

Day 1 - June 24

Reflection: Like Thomas, We Have Been Chosen by Jesus Christ

In these days he went out into the hills to pray; and all night he continued in prayer to God. And when it was day, he called his disciples, and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles; Simon, whom he named Peter, and Andrew his brother, and James and John, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon who was called the Zealot, and Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor. (Luke 6:12‐16)

Lord Jesus, help me to believe that you have chosen me. Lord Jesus, what have you chosen me for?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 2 - June 25

Reflection: We Are Called to Follow Jesus with Reckless Abandon

Now a certain man was ill, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. It was Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was ill. So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness is not unto death; it is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by means of it.”

Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So when he heard that he was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was. Then after this he said to the disciples, “Let us go into Judea again.” The disciples said to him, “Rabbi, the Jews were but now seeking to stone you, and are you going there again?” Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” Thus he spoke, and then he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awake him out of sleep.” The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead; and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.” Thomas, called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” (John 11:1‐16)

Lord Jesus, teach me to trust in you today. Lord Jesus, do I willingly follow wherever you lead?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 3 - June 26

Reflection: Our Hearts Long to Stay Close to Jesus

“Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” (John 14:1‐6)

Lord Jesus, give me a greater desire for heaven. Lord Jesus, in my life are you the way, truth, and life?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 4 - June 27

Reflection: We Struggle with Doubt

On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:19‐25)

Lord Jesus, I do believe—help my disbelief. Lord Jesus, where are you calling me to deeper faith?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 5 - June 28

Reflection: Our Hearts Languish Until We Encounter the Risen Christ

Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

Eight days later, his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. The doors were shut, but Jesus came and stood among them, and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side; do not be faithless, but believing.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.” (John 20:24‐29)

Lord Jesus, let me encounter you today. Lord Jesus, how can I honor you as Lord and God today?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 6 - June 29

Reflection: We Doubt God's Work in Us and Our Ability to Evangelize

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” (Matthew 28:16‐20)

Lord Jesus, you entrusted us with a mission. Lord Jesus, how are you calling me to evangelize those around me today?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!

___________________________________________________________________

Day 7 - June 30

Reflection: We Have Been Promised an Outpouring of the Holy Spirit

So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth.” And when he had said this, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:6‐11)

Lord Jesus, you promised us power to be your witnesses. Lord Jesus, does the Holy Spirit really empower me to do your will?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!

______________________________________________________________________

Day 8 - July 1

Reflection: Like Thomas, We Are Invited to Receive More of the Holy Spirit

And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. All these with one accord devoted themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly a sound came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire, distributed and resting on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 1:13‐14; Acts 2:1‐4)

Lord Jesus, you have even more to give me. Lord Jesus, what could you do through me if I surrendered to you today?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!


Day 9 - July 2

Reflection: Like Thomas, We Are Called to Radical Discipleship

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life? For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done." (Matthew 16:24‐27)

Lord Jesus, you call me to take up my cross and follow you. Lord Jesus, is there truly more joy in the way of the cross than the way of the world?

(State your intentions here...)

Prayers:

  • Our Father
  • Hail Mary
  • Glory Be

St. Thomas the Apostle: Pray for us!

.

Related Post

No comments: