Jun 16, 2024

Novena to St. Peter and St.Paul

Day 1 - June 20

Scripture Reading: Isaiah 40:31
“Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.”

Reflection: Disappointment is a reality for each of us. The way we handle defeat affects our attitude. If we pout and surrender, we feel helpless and glum. However, if we anticipate another chance to do better and prepare ourselves for the challenge, we become spirited and revived. With reliance on God, we convince ourselves that we can go beyond and above our abilities. We are amazed at the new energy level we attain.

Prayer: Dear Lord, give me strength to bounce back after disappointment. Let me turn to you for strength to handle the situation and give me hope for a better tomorrow.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

------------------------------------------

Day 2 - June 21

Scripture Reading: Psalms 27:4-5
“I ask only one thing Lord: Let me live in your house every day of my life to see how wonderful you are and to pray in your temple. In times of trouble, you will protect me. You will hide me in your tent and keep me safe on top of a mighty rock.”

Reflection: Prayer is our connect-point with God. In this psalm, David asks for safety, protection from enemies, and grace to live and pray in the house of the Lord. We lead busy lives with work, family, and numerous activities, and consequently, we sometimes forget our first concern is our relationship with the Lord.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for being You. Help me to keep you special in my life. Continue to give me the daily grace to love my neighbor.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God, and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

----------------------------------------

Day 3 - June 22

Scripture Reading: Philippians 4:6-8
“Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing: Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”

Reflection: When we are consumed with worry and stress, we cannot function normally. Often, we panic, and our hearts are filled with negativity. Negativity begets bitterness. Most problems we face are not solvable by ourselves. We need help. St. Paul advises us to pray whenever we are anxious so that we may allow for peace and quiet to flow through our beings.

Prayer: Dear Lord, strengthen my trust that You will take care of all my needs. Give me peace in accepting Your will.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

----------------------------------------

Day 4 - June 23

Scripture Reading: Romans 8:28, 38
“We know that in all things God works for good with those who love Him, those whom He has called according to His purpose. For I am certain that nothing can separate us from His love, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future, neither the world above nor the world below; there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Reflection: Who can we always depend on? Who can write straight with crooked lines? Who is always there for us? When we feel distant from God, who moved?

Prayer: Dear God, help me to remember that You and You alone are the source of Power and Love I can always depend on. Help me to love, respect, honor, and show gratitude to You in all things and all circumstances. Help me to build a Temple to honor You for the King that You are.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God, and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

-----------------------------------------

Day 5 - June 24

Scripture Reading: James 2:14-18
“What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or a sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and eat well,’ but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? Indeed, someone may say, ‘You have faith; I have works.’ Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works.”

Reflection: Faith is the underlying force of Christian life. If one has Christian values, good deeds will automatically follow. Christians want to help each other, so it is only logical that they perform acts of kindness to show their love. How can we offer proof of our love without good works and assistance? Telling someone we love them is not as effective as demonstrating concern with actions. “Others will know we are Christians by our love.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, you call me to love my neighbors as myself and teach me that faith without works is dead. Open me to the opportunities to serve you and my brothers and sisters.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God, and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

-----------------------------------------

Day 6 - June 25

Scripture Reading: Ephesians 4:1-3
“Therefore, the prisoner for the Lord, urges you to live worthily of the calling with which you have been called with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

Reflection: Friends, spouses, and fellow parishioners have differences of opinions on many issues. But, as the Body of Christ, Church members must humble themselves to be understanding so that Church teachings and God's love will help them to respect diversity, to work together to build up unity within the Church, and to create an atmosphere of peace for everyone.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to bring people together. Let me be an instrument of peace.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

----------------------------------------

Day 7 - June 26

Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:1-2
“Keep being concerned about each other as the Lord's followers should. Be sure to welcome strangers into your home. By doing this, some people have welcomed angels as guests without even knowing it.”

Reflection: A wave, a nod, a smile, a hug initiates meaningful feelings of concern for friends, neighbors, and parishioners (some we know, and some we don't know). These are simple actions that carry the gospel of love to others. By extending a welcome to someone, which is a normal human interaction, we may experience a personal contact on a spiritual level. Try it!

Prayer: Lord, give me the gift of hospitality. Open my heart to those who struggle with poor health, loneliness, or mental illness. Assist me to be faithful to daily prayer.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh, and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

-----------------------------------------

Day 8 - June 27

Scripture Reading: Matthew 14:29-31
“Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out. ‘Lord, save me!' Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. ‘You of little faith,' he said, ‘why did you doubt?'”

Reflection: When we do a task with confidence, we often surpass expectations and surprise ourselves and those around us. When we doubt our skills, we perform inferiorly. So, it is in our relationship with the Lord. He is always with us, but when we think we alone are in control, we overlook His power to help us. We remain emotionally and spiritually confident when we communicate and walk hand in hand with the Lord.

Prayer: Dear Lord, let me be aware of the power You have over me and all the world. Take away my doubt and give me confidence to do what You ask of me.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

----------------------------------------

Day 9 - June 28

Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 29:14-16
“But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. We are foreigners and strangers in your sight, as were all our ancestors. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. Lord our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name comes from your hand; all belongs to you.”

Reflection: When we get a bonus for good performance at work, we are very proud. We feel we deserve applause. But when we reflect, we realize that our education, talents, and opportunities all originated with God. He distributes gifts to each person in accordance to His will. We want to give back to Our Lord when we recognize that He is responsible for all that we have. “God has given us two hands—one to receive with and the other to give with. We are not cisterns made for hoarding; we are channels made for sharing.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, let me always be aware that all my gifts and possessions come from You. I am nothing without You.

O holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, I choose you this day and forever to be my special patrons and advocates; thee, Saint Peter, Prince of the Apostles, because thou art the Rock, upon which Almighty God hath built His Church; thee, Saint Paul, because thou wast fore-chosen by God as the Vessel of election and the Preacher of truth in the whole world.

(State your intentions here...)

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be...

Obtain for me, I pray you, lively faith, firm hope, and burning love; complete detachment from myself, contempt of the world, patience in adversity, humility in prosperity, attention in prayer, purity of heart, a right intention in all my works, diligence in fulfilling the duties of my state of life, constancy in my resolutions, resignation to the will of God and perseverance in the grace of God even unto death; that so, by means of your intercession and your glorious merits, I may be able to overcome the temptations of the world, the flesh and the devil, and may be made worthy to appear before the chief and eternal Shepherd of souls, Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Ghost liveth and reigneth for endless ages, to enjoy His presence and love Him forever. Amen.

Sts. Peter and Paul: Pray for us!

.

Related Post

No comments: